Prescott and Linzee swords
To order an image, navigate to the full
display and click "request this image"
on the blue toolbar.
Choose an alternate description of this item written for these projects:
- Object of the Month
- MHS 225th Anniversary
- Revolutionary-era Art and Artifacts
Two swords mounted together on a rectangular black walnut plaque commissioned by the Massachusetts Historical Society in 1859. The swords of Col. William Prescott and Capt. John Linzee are crossed through a carved wreath of olive-leaves. Over the leaves are two shields leaning against each other and bearing the Prescott and Linzee family crests. The inscription on Prescott sword reads: "The Sword of Col. William Prescott, and worn by him at the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775." The inscription on the Linzee sword reads: "Sword of Capt. John Linzee R. N. who Commanded the British Sloop of War Falcon while acting against the Americans at the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1775."